Monday, August 21, 2023

Flat Retreat!

Since my bilateral mastectomy post DCIS diagnosis, I have been wanting to connect with other women who made the same choice I did. Going "flat" - choosing not to have reconstruction after breast cancer surgery is an option that is not as well known or discussed as other options, so I was delighted on Thursday, July 27, to head north with my sister to Kingston/Lake Katrine/Saugerties, NY, for Flat Retreat Hudson Valley. The weather was BLAZING hot and humid the entire weekend, still, it was an amazing experience.

We listened to Billy Joel (Allentown as we drove by) and talked through road trip questions. We ate Cheezits, summer cherry tomatoes and made great time, and on the drive home, we stayed out in the countryside for the first part of the drive. Beautiful. 

We were both a little nervous about the retreat, so we determined that "Mawah" from an area in New Jersey that we drove through and had never heard of would be our safe word, if we needed it, but we did not! 

From the first evening gathering, the retreat and community were everything I'd hoped for and more. These women are tough, beautiful, thoughtful, generous, brave, and ebullient. In short, they kick a**!
Highlights
  • Flattie hugs, real conversations; true and deep sharing about E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.
  • We received swag and decorated our reusable cups with affirming messages
  • Photos and videos by the team to capture all the details
  • Body positivity and acceptance (topless, tattoos, fashion show)
  • Sexual health workshop and authentic sharing; unexpected lap dance demo!
  • Dance party
  • Hudson River cruise
  • Grace Goddess project in full swing for those who wanted to take part
  • Connection via group circle and photos
  • The openness and generosity of spirit were amazing; many women brought gifts for the group
  • The Facebook group has continued to be nourishing
  • Once home, I received a handwritten thank you note from one of the organizers. So special.
If you'd like to give money to support this kind of experience, go to YouAreNotAloneFlatRetreat.
Emily & Susan Local Foods Fun
  • We checked out Lox of Bagels, Keegan's Ales for Cherise's show, the Jolly Cow for ice cream, Sweet Maresa's 
  • Kingston Farmer's Market = bountiful and there were still strawberries in late July!
Emily: Covert hydrangea cuttings under the cover of darkness

Susan: I enjoyed walks in the area and by the river in Saugerties
the land of above ground pools

No comments:

Post a Comment