Saturday, May 29, 2021

Some Words Come to Mind: delighted, content, happy, grateful, satisfied, disappointed, anxious, uncertain, sad

Zach of Note

  • He loves his Lego construction workers. I named them after my Lions and LensCrafters peeps: Dave, Bill, Dick (Richard), and Mark. Zach thought I meant Bill of Bill and Austin, so we've got Austin too. Molly and Maria (just random). We spent a lot of nights carefully putting them to bed. Very sweet. 
  • We slurp, like Ana Freya drinking coffee, which is also the universal sound for something scrumptious
  • Another new playground in Herndon got some love
  • The sound walk on several spring afternoons and Meadowlark gardens. We love Barry (turtle), Dude (chameleon), and Sweetie (dragon lizard)
  • We're in for Bridge to Kindergarten in July. I can't believe we're almost through this time with Zach. Sniff! :(
  • Moved the watermelon plant outside!
  • Another garden visit with Logan and Cora; Zach got one of their strawberries!

  • Zach plays with Hot Wheels cars like it’s Rocket League. 
  • He loves is STEAM Lego toy (He and Frank made a cat! and two of the Lego robots are Ian and Barley from Onward). Quote from Zach: I love what Daddy gets me every time. He gets me the best toys.

  • Some Wildcraft and an odd game of Briscola and checkers
  • Trying to ensure he knows the basics: full name, birthdate, where he lives, and a phone number (I made up a catchy tune for learning it and a dance!)
  • The pool! I did some diving too off the diving board!
  • It's been hot and Zach and I have both had trouble sleeping. We wet a wash cloth for Zach and wipe his feet before bed. He sometimes wakes up and uses it multiple times overnight. 

Emotions/Empathy Corner

  • Lots of big emotions and me feeling like I have to stay on top of everything or we'll slide down a slippery slope that will be so hard or too hard to come back from.
  • He has recently been asking about others. How's Uncle Jeff's toe? How's Baxter?
  • He is excited to see family and especially friends, as we have started to see folks again in person. He loved visits from Adrienne and Kathleen. He can't wait to visit Katie and Suji. He holds hands. 
  • What is something to move us out of a funk? The silly shake and/or quoting the Creepy Weepy dollhouse episode, "Can you say, 'Wanna be best friends?'"
  • Scones to Charlotte for Mother's Day
  • I was upset one day and cried. Zach came over to hug me and said, "I love you, Mommy."

Zach's Words and Songs and Curious Questions

  • Lots of "I love you"!
  • Reading Binny books and listening to Rebecca Stead books: Liar and Spy and When You Reach Me
  • We have all the Lulu books now. I love how much he loves them! The stories brought up the meaning of an "icy blue glare" and how that contrasts with "warm" expressions. 
  • Zach says, “May you go get it for me,” instead of “Will you” or “Would you” go get it for me…
  • We have talked about shrugging and how it can mean, noncommittal. 
  • The cicadas are here. We uploaded a photo to Cicada Safari. Walk boldly!
  • Books on Paul Bunyan continue to be fun, curious constructions, and the pool
  • Listened to some Dolly Parton one morning
  • Zach enjoys the Beatles song, Yellow Submarine. He asks Auntie Em to play it when we visit!
  • Zach said this month, "I want to be either a firefighter or police officer." I asked why. He said: 
    • F: ride in ladder truck and slide down the pole
    • P: chase people
    • Neither about helping people

Sleep Update

  • Pretty much the same old, same old!
  • I am in my summer solstice sleep pattern. I am waking up early and in the middle of the night.

Good Food

  • Nordic Knot chocolate croissants!
  • Garlic fries and Senor Ramon's tacos
  • Feta and tomato dish a couple times
  • Italian wafer waffles (pizzelles) from Mary
  • Delicious treats from Raleigh bakery
  • Watermelon hops kombucha and the Mobtown Fermentation saga 
  • Ice cream with Auntie Em and ice cream sandwiches with Kathleen
  • Thompson Italian comes through again! (See Mother's Day)
  • Ramen and miso broth from Green Grocer
  • Faux burgers. Yum!

Connection

  • Need to remember: "how's your mental health," what's on your mind, 
  • Sofia and Baby James. She has "mommy hand." What is that?!
  • A winery date and hike up to Bear's Den with Kathleen. Also, Kathleen lost her dad and came for a visit
  • Emily R.
  • An evening with Katie, Suji, and Vero and Katie and Vero
  • Another visit with Adrienne. Meadlowlark Gardens and brunch outside at Lake Anne
  • Zach visited Woodstock, and accolades for Daddy Bob as "the best cook"
  • Sacha, Agathe, and Saul brought us strawberries from Great Country

Family Fun

  • Mother's Day: I got a wonderful Thompson Italian meal: crepes with chocolate and strawberries, decadent yogurt (like cheesecake), quiche, focaccia, and offered up mimosas to the block!
  • Great Falls (including swift water rescue exercises), Banshee Reeks on the north side, Meadowlark Gardens, the pump track
  • Great Country and Dirt Farm with Grandad a couple times
  • Watched Onward (great!) and watched again with Auntie Em
  • Cleaning

Fun and Not So Fun Stuff 

  • Still complicated and complex. I worked through some challenges for sure of all varieties (coming out of the pandemic, weird interactions, unsettling feelings), flexed some techniques, used pillow potion, released my stress cycle, as well as perspective-taking and loving kindness meditation
  • Excursion to Rappahannock County
  • Read: Ghost, Summer of Sloane, Kindred, and You Are Your Best Thing
  • Reading bits of: Hold Me Tight, Broken Open, and Dolly Parton's Songteller book, and just started Ade by Rebecca Walker
  • Watching: Into the Beat, Finished Zero Chill and The Good Place
  • Listening to Inferior on Audible
  • Writing Project: I started reading my journals from Belgium and imagining what it might be. What I have learned: communicate understanding and ask for what you need, more love and connection, accepting who I am/I'm not flawed. If I ask for what I need and I don't get it, it doesn't mean I don't deserve it. My journey and/or writing a novel. Given the window into my 17-year old self, YA might be right. Emotions are okay; they are data; don't be afraid of them
  • Podcasts I've loved: 
    • Michael Bungay Stanier episode, and there were some good coaching questions. I used “What’s on your mind?” https://brenebrown.com/podcast/brene-with-michael-bungay-stanier-on-the-advice-trap-and-staying-curious-just-a-little-longer/
    • Good Ancestor with Christine Platt, Angela Saini, and Robert Jones Jr. who wrote The Prophets, and the episode with Dawnie Walton who wrote The Final Revival of Opal and Nev
    • Priya Parker and the Art of Gathering. I especially appreciate what she said about getting the vaccine is a common experience that binds us
    • Good ol' Simon Sinek. He said that putting the economy before human life is like putting profit over people. Excellent point. 
    • Ashley C. Ford on Unlocking Us (also good for my writing project)
    • #GoodAncestors ​Rebecca Walker & Lily Diamond on ‘What's Your Story?’

Professional

  • Change is a constant continues: Goodbye Amanda and so sad to be saying goodbye to Chris B. It's been great working with him! :(
  • DISC, DISC, and more DISC. In Leadership Institute, my fellow S's (Kevin, Cory, Kate) said: harmony, our slide manifested. Teehee. 
  • Getting spun up over some comments and interactions
  • Finished Just Work and started listening to Thinking Fast and Slow and The Coaching Habit
  • Leadership Communities of Practice Slack Channel got traction with coaching

Health Corner

  • Cold/allergies descended upon us; felt very strange to be sick after 14 months
  • Stopped wearing my sport watch. I was exhausting myself!
  • Frank and I are fully vaccinated

No comments:

Post a Comment